We recognise that the problems with the health of the rivers are large and have not developed overnight. Our vision is ambitious and will only be achieved through progressive, combined and sustained actions by government and civil society. Our role is to:
• Raise awareness of problems with river health.
• Develop, demonstrate and encourage the adoption of solutions to these problems.
• Support and learn from people and communities who wish to make a difference or are already making a difference to the health of their rivers.
• Actively engage in river health projects, education and capacity building.
• We work in partnership with other organisations, whether from civil society or government, who share our vision.
Duct has eight strategic focus areas. These are:
• Minimization of faecal waste in the rivers
• Reduction of solid waste in the rivers
• Reduction of industrial pollution in the rivers
• Control and eradication of invasive alien plant vegetation on the river banks and in the rivers
• Improvement of land care and reduction of soil erosion in the catchments
• Reduction of water borne diseases in the rivers
• Improvement of management of mining operations in the Valley
• Implementation of an environmental flow schedule below the major dams, as provided for in the National Water Act of 1998